Year 11 Subjects – Psychology
Level: Stage 1
Subject Name: Psychology
Assumed knowledge: Nil
Stage 1 Psychology can be studied as a 10-credit subject (Semester 1 or Semester 2).
Psychology is the scientific study of human thoughts, behaviours and emotions, and the relationships between these. Psychology builds on the scientific method by involving students in the collection and analysis of qualitative and quantitative data. By emphasising evidence-based procedures (i.e. observation, experimentation and experience), the subject allows students to develop useful skills in analytical and critical thinking, and in making inferences from psychological data.
The 10-credit subject consists of an introduction to psychological methods and two other topics:
- Introduction to Psychology: Psychological research methods
- Neuropsychology: The study of the human brain
- Cognitive psychology: Learning and memory
Assessment at Stage 1 is school based. Students demonstrate evidence of their learning through the following assessment types:
- Investigations Folio 50%: Psychology investigation (experiment), SHE Task
- Skills and Applications Tasks 50%: Tests, Case Study Application Task