Year 11 – Visual Arts - Art
Level: Stage 1
Subject Name: Visual Arts - Art
Assumed Knowledge: At least one semester of Year 10 Art or Design
In this subject, students are expected to:
- Conceive, develop, and make work(s) of art or design that reflect the development of a personal visual aesthetic
- Demonstrate visual thinking through the development and evaluation of ideas and explorations in technical skills with media, materials, and technologies
- Apply technical skills in using media, materials, and technologies to solve problems and resolve work(s) of art or design
- Communicate knowledge and understanding of their own and other practitioners’ works of art or design
- Analyse, interpret, and respond to visual arts in cultural, social, and/or historical contexts.
- Assessment Type 1: Folio (40%)
15 x A3 pages to document their idea development and media exploration
- Assessment Type 2: Practical (30%)
One practical artwork and supporting practitioner’s statement (250 words)
- Assessment Type 3: Visual Study (30%)
8-12 x A3 pages and 750 words
For this subject the assessment design criteria are:
- Practical application
- Knowledge and understanding
- Analysis and synthesis
- Inquiry and exploration.
Semester 1 focus:
The Folio documents the student's visual learning and supports their resolved visual artwork based on the theme 'My Personal Landscape'. In the Visual Study, students investigate how traditional cultural art forms, styles and techniques influence the works of contemporary practitioners.
Semester 2 focus:
The Folio documents the student's visual learning and supports their resolved visual artwork based on the theme ‘Social and Political Statements'. In the Visual Study, students investigate how artists have been visual observers and commentators of the society in which they live.